Oushak Indian Rug – 179 x 133cm
|Dimensions||50395562 × 50394361 cm|
|Size in cm|
179 x 133
|Size in feet|
5' 8" x 4' 3"
100% Wool pile based on cotton foundation
|Condition & Age|
Perfect, full pile
Hand woven in India
|Number of Knots|
Approx 90,000 Knots in 1sq meter
The art of manufacturing carpets was introduced in India, probably by the great mogul Akbar (1556-1605) which brought in Persian weavers together with skilled pattern artists mainly for producing carpets for his palace.
During the 16th, 17th and 18th century many fine carpets were woven here made of the finest sheep wool and silk, with Persian patterns. The quality sank during the 19th century and right up to the middle of the 20th century, except some smaller productions in the cities of Srinagar, Amritsar and Agra.
After Indias independence in 1947 the commercial manufacturing had a reawakening. Even if most of the weavers moved to Pakistan, they were up and running again thanks to the concentration on education of youths, men and women.
- Gabbeh Large Rug 525 x 410cm£8,000.00 Add to cart
- Tabriz Circular / Circle Rug 198 x 198cmRead more
- Garous Zieglar Rug 262 x 188cm£2,000.00 Add to cart
- Garous Zieglar Design Rug Beige£750.00 – £5,900.00 Select options
- Garous Mamluk Design Rug 259 x 188cm£3,100.00 Add to cart
- Kazak Rug 298 x 207cm£2,800.00 Add to cart